Monday, January 5, 2009

My Family Chicken soup recipe

So I thought I'd share a traditional soup recipe that was made for me as a little girl whenever I got sick (it's true what they say about the healing power of chicken soup). Now, whenever anyone in my family has the sniffles/colds/flus, this soup is the first thing I make. I'm pretty sure it's been passed down through several generations, with only a few small changes! I hope you like it, and I hope it warms you from the inside out.

Anna's Chicken Soup:
Chicken drumsticks (10-12) or leg & thighs (6-8)
8-10 carrots
2 parsnips
2 stalks of celery
2 medium onions
4 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste

If you can use organic produce, even better. Use chicken that has bone in it (avoid using breasts), the bones release lots of minerals. Chop all your veggies. Put everything in a pot and cover with water. Simmer for 1.5 hrs. Adjust salt and pepper at the end. I like to add a splash of Bragg's seasoning for extra richness. I cook rice pasta or brown rice separately and add it to the bowls as I serve them (to prevent them from getting too mushy/starchy) - this is my naturopathic spin on the traditional recipe!
Enjoy!

Dr. Anna Falkowski
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
Barrie, ON
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: