Monday, January 19, 2009

Wow it's been cold outside!!

So I think it's pretty safe to say that many of us are feeling the post-holiday, long cold winter January slump! This is the time of year where we no longer have the holidays to look forward to and the winter wonderland now just looks like a gray, cold and uninviting place to be. I'm finding that with two small kids this weather is getting to me as well, as I'm feeling a little limited with my activities. It's time to get creative. First off, as a naturopathic doctor I encourage everyone to be taking vitamin D during this time - not only for it's immune stimulating activity, but for it's effect on mood/depression during this time. I don't know about you, but I haven't been in the 'sunlight' for a while now! Secondly, be determined to find some indoor activities to keep you going. Doing your exercise indoors is a great option - treadmills, mini-trampoline or yoga are all great. Next, find some fun things to do with the family that doesn't require snow-suits! We've been making more trips to the Rec centre for family swim times. There's also indoor playgrounds, Chapters, Library and various play-groups for those with young children. And finally, at the first opportunity of milder weather, bundle up and get outside. Even with the limited sunshine, natural light has a mood elevating effect! And that's my naturopathic prescription!

Dr. Anna Falkowski
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
Barrie, ON
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: