Sunday, July 26, 2009

'Green' smoothies...So healthy & tasty!

I was recently on a wonderful website that discussed how we can eat a more 'raw' diet, which as a naturopath I have always viewed as the gold standard of 'healthy'. Eating raw is a challenge because most of us are not set up for a completely raw lifestyle (dehydrators, juicers, top of the line blenders etc). However, everyone of us has the ability to get creative and have SOME raw foods daily. My recent discovery has made it easy for even the kids to get more raw AND green food into their diet. I'm actually REALLY surprised at how this worked out. So on the recommendation of the website, I asked took my 3 year old into our garden, and asked him to help me pick some 'greens' for a 'garden smoothie' we were going to make. I asked him what we should put in it, and he started taking me around the garden, picking leaves of kale, swiss chard, spinach, beet tops and parsely. By the time we were done we had a bowl full of 'greens'. He then asked if HE could wash them, and put them in the blender. My experiment was working, he was completely involved and so far excited about the 'swamp water smoothie' we were about to make. We put all the greens into the blender, added one banana and some frozen strawberries, and topped it up with soymilk. He blended it until the entire thing was smooth, and I was surprised to see that it actually wasn't even green in color (I was expecting it to look a little awful). Then, the biggest hurdle - would he like it? YES! He said it was delicious (and it was!). I couldn't believe that it didn't taste 'green'. It as amazing. Between the 2 of us we drank the entire thing, which would have easily counted as a days worth of veggies! I was ecstatic. We have done the same thing 3 days in a row now. It's fun, it's tasty, and it's healthy. We now make them for my 1 year old and husband as well. Everyone is on board. I challenge everyone to try it and see how good it actually tastes! There's no real recipe, just experiment with what you have!
The websites I'm recommending for more great ideas like this one are:
www.rawmom.com
www.therawdivas.com

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: