Thursday, January 7, 2010

Detox Day 4– Feeling good!

So the headache went away some time during the night. I went to bed at 9pm, read for 30 min and went to sleep. Got a decent night sleep, and feel refreshed today. SOOO much better than yesterday.
Breakfast – Mediclear smoothie with frozen mango, strawberries, blueberries, almond milk and banana…really good and creamy with this recipe. Followed by my green tea (I won’t be forgetting this after yesterdays headache!), and then 30 min later my millet-rice cereal with raisins, banana and almond milk (I’m really enjoying this option).
On my way to work I popped into Starbucks and prepared myself for the beautiful aroma of my old friend coffee. It did smell great, but didn’t elicit any strong cravings (unlike yesterday). I ordered a venti Vanilla Rooibos with a little honey. Really nice warming drink. I have noticed that I’m colder than usual during this cleanse, which can be a common experience. The reason behind it is energetics – the foods we consume on a cleanse (more raw veggies and fruit) are colder energetically than meats & and fried foods. Coffee is also very warming energetically - in small amounts it’s great for ‘cold’ individuals, but detrimental to ‘hot’ individuals (ie. Those who have high blood pressure, obesity, over-active thyroid etc). So when you take away the ‘hot’ foods, the body can become colder. That’s why exercise becomes more important, warming spices (garlic, ginger, cayenne, cinnamon), and teas (Rooibos is warmer energetically than green tea, but lacks the caffeine). It’s all about balance!
Lunch – leftover trout & veggies from dinner yesterday, with the addition of the brown rice I made last night, tamari and sesame oil for added kick.
Another green tea and a plum as snacks. I’m feeling really FULL today, not hungry. The other days I was definitely ravenous and ate huge portions of everything, so I think it’s stabilizing now and I’m not needing as much.
Dinner – Carlos made a brown rice pasta dish. He sautéed onion, garlic, red pepper, 3 chopped dates, and handful of chopped pecans all in olive oil. Salt and pepper. Add to cooked pasta. It was really good. For lunch her had a black bean soup (check previous posts for recipe).
I finished the day with a peppermint tea to help with bloating. Going to bed early again!
I want to remind people to DRINK YOUR WATER. This is very important while cleansing – get at least ½ your body weight (in pounds) in ounces. You can count green tea and herbal tea towards that count. The reason being is that it helps keep the bowels moving and kidneys flushing the toxins. Because of the large amount of fiber on the Mediclear cleanse, some people will experience increased bloating or stomach discomfort initially, which will subside after your body adjusts to the change within a few days (typically).

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: