Saturday, February 6, 2010

From Cuba to Winterfest!

We recently came back from a week in Varadero Cuba - our first family vacation somewhere warm since the kids were born. I was SO apprehensive about the entire experience, and nearly made myself sick with worry leading up to it. I must say it turned out to be a fabulous experience! No one got sick thankfully (I was sure to give probiotics and Allimax garlic pills daily), and the weather was fabulous. I can't believe the difference in mood and health from a good dose of vitamin D!! As Canadians i'm convinced that we are all at alarmingly low levels, which of course affects our moods and immunity.
Travelling with kids is certainly a different experience - you give up the fancy dinners and lazy cocktails on the beach, but you replace it with fun in the sun, swimming, dancing, and kids shows! The best part was the un-interupted family time (no emails to answer, no telephone calls, no distractions). It was the best family bonding experience. I watched my kids bloom - Jordi tackled some of his fears of trying new things, and Lucian started to communicate much better stringing several words together at a time. My other concern was how we would all sleep in the same room for the week. This was one of the most amazing revelations to me. We pushed two of the beds together (I think they were slightly bigger than twins, but not quite doubles), and I slept with Jordi on one side and Lucian on the other (he was on the wall side so that he wouldn't fall off - at home was still sleeping in a crib). Carlos slept on a cot. Anyway, it took one night for everyone to find their groove, but the rest of the week I was amazed at how peacefully I slept with my kids. Normally at home we have such different schedules that we wouldn't be going to bed at the same time, making co-sleeping difficult. Surprisingly, neither of them woke up at night the entire week!! Maybe that's the answer for kids who don't sleep the whole night through - they just need the security of having their parent with them, which is a natural instinct. Anyway, it was a great learning experience for all of us.
We got home just before the Barrie Winterfest, so this morning we dressed up and ventured out into the cold to enjoy some more family time. It was really great this year, and once again the kids had fun (minus the cold hands).

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: