Saturday, March 6, 2010

Roasted Beet Salad

I know, I'm Polish and therefore should eat a LOT of beets. I do love them, but I leave the cooking part to my mom - I just find them too difficult to peel. That being said, i recently discovered a very easy way to make them, and I think it's going to open the beet horizon for me! Beets are so good for you - they are full of iron and are considered a 'liver' food, which supports the liver in detoxification.
So here's what I did - wash them and place them on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet (cut off the greens first of course). Drizzle in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt,pepper, and rosemary (optional). cover with the foil to create a sealed pouch. Bake at 400 for 1 hour or until tender. Let them cool, then put on some rubber gloves and push the peels off (or use a knife if they're not falling off). Cut them into wedges, and put in a bowl with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss. This can marinate for a few days and you can use as needed. I was using them for lunch for 3 days straight - I served them over a bed of organic baby spinach, a handful of raw sunflower seeds, and a TBSP of goat cheese. DELICIOUS!!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: