Monday, May 24, 2010

Gluten-free Egg-free Rhubarb pie!


This weekend we dropped into Barrie Hill Farms and picked up some beautiful fresh asparagus, but I also grabbed some rhubarb to make dessert. I wasn't sure what I was going to make and sort of winged it. I stewed the rhubarb in a touch of water, 1/2 cup of strawberries and a few Tbsp. of sugar. About 20 min (it fell apart at this point).
I then proceeded to make up a recipe for a gluten-free egg-free tart crust. Here's what I used:
1.5 cups all-purposed gluten-free flour (a blend of rice, tapioca, buckwheat, chickpea and arrowroot flour).
1/2 tsp xantham gum
2 Tbsp sugar
6 Tbsp cold butter
5 Tbsp cold water
1/2 tsp salt

I used a butter knife to crumble the butter into the dry ingredients, and eventually it became crumbly. I transferred it into a glass pie plate and packed down the dough to form the tart
I baked the crust for 20 minutes at 375, then poured in the rhubarb mixture. Bake for 20 minutes more. Let cool before serving. Turned out delicious!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND.
Naturopathic Doctor & Clinic Director
Vitality for Life Health Center
www.vitalityforlife.ca

Vitality for Life is an integrative health clinic in Barrie, Ontario. We offer the services of a Naturopathic Doctor, Chiropractor and massage therapists.

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: