Thursday, August 9, 2012

Zucchini...healthy, yummy, affordable!

I was so impressed with my 'Eat Clean' lunch creation today that I needed to share. Last week I picked up 2 huge yellow zucchini's at Hewitt's farm stand. They were $0.75 each, and i'm not kidding, they are huge. Today I decided to grill them. When working with a zuchini this large, it's actually more like a squash. You have to cut it lengthwise and remove the seeds with a spoon, and also peel the skin with a vegetable peeler (it's tougher than a small grocery store zucchini). I then cut them in 1/2 inch slices, threw them into a bowl, drizzled with olive oil, sea salt and garlic powder (NOT garlic salt). Toss them around and throw them on your grill (I use a panini grill, which cooks them rather quickly. 5 minutes later they have nice grill marks, and are fork tender. I also had 2 ripe avocado's so I made a quick guacamole (mash them with sea salt and lemon juice). On each plate I put several slices of the grilled zucchini, topped with a large dallop of guacamole, and then added a sprinkling of goat cheese. For extra protein you could sprinkle with toasted sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
I fed 3 people and a baby with these zucchini, which cost me $1.50 total!! It was delicious, satisfying, seasonal, local and cost effective! When my 4 year old asked for a second bowl I was pretty pleased with myself! It fulfilled my goals as both a Naturopath and a mother!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: