Sunday, December 30, 2012

New Year Reflections!

As the New Year is upon us I like to take a little time to reflect on the past and set some goals for the future. Like many of you, I find New Year's Resolutions to be frustrating and unnecessary. We make them with great intentions but they are often setting us up for failure. Don't get me wrong - they CAN work for some people, but for the majority of us they don't. What I do encourage is setting goals - this however does not need to happen on New Year's, but anytime you feel like a change is needed. I like all my patients to set health goals for themselves, but I like them to be specific. For example, if you want to 'eat better', clarify what this means exactly. Perhaps your goal will be to eat vegetables twice daily, or include leafy greens 3x/week. Make your goals specific and achievable. Writing them down helps, that way you have something to refer back to in a few weeks to remind yourself of what you wanted to achieve! Better yet, become accountable by sharing your goals with friends or family.

For myself, as I reflect back on this year the thing that stands out for me the most is the impact that one person can have an another, and how the trickle effect can change so many lives. I have come to realize that for every mother, father, sister or child that come to see me, the effects reach far beyond that single patient. I have seen entire families change their health when one individual becomes the role model for positive change. This is what I find incredible in my line of work. This is what motivates me.

This past year my dear childhood friend lost her battle with brain cancer. Alyson lived by the philosophy of 'give back more than you take'. She was a true inspiration during her life time but even more so during the 3 years that she lived with this invasive cancer. She continued to rally her resources to raise money for the future treatment options and research in brain cancer, and left an amazing legacy the now continues without her presence. She left a real impact on me which has changed the way I see my profession and my role as a Naturopath. I understand that through education and passion I can be a voice for change, one person and one family at a time. My goals for the upcoming year are to give back more than I take, to find my inner voice of inspiration and share it with anyone who will listen! Each patient that listens is my victory and my marker for success! I will take each of your success stories and let it feed my passion, and hope that it continues to spread. I wish the same for all of you - may you find your own inner voice, your calling, and may you let it shine!

Happy New Year!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: