Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Back to School EASY Freezer Dinners!

I don't know about you, but I get overwhelmed with our family's schedule once school and activities start back up. We all have those days where it feels like between work and extracurricular activities there's just no time to cook or feed your family a healthy meal! I decided that I wasn't going to let our schedule side-track my efforts, so the perfect solution was making a large batch of freezer meals ahead of time that could be popped into the crock-pot in the morning, and served immediately after school. In this video I'm sharing the process with you. The total prep time was about 40 minutes of chopping, and it made 5 large meals. Next time I'm going to aim for 10 in my freezer has the space!

I didn't have a recipe to start, but had the following items:
-Sweet Potato
-Carrots
-Celery
-Dried Green Lentils
-Quinoa (uncooked)
-Brown Rice
-Onion
-Garlic
-Chili Powder
-Cumin
-Chicken
-Sausage

As you see in the video, I put a little of each ingredient (except only ONE grain) into each bag for freezing. When you're ready to throw it in the crockpot, I add either a carton of Broth OR Tomato Sauce (or both) and let it cook on low for 6-8 hrs. It ends up tasting like a tex-mex combo, similar to chili....it's wonderful!
I make a point in the video that children have a window in which getting good nutrition into them is easy - immediately after school when they're starving. I prefer to feed them an early dinner and then head off to activities. I hope you find this video helpful!

Dr. Anna Falkowski HBSc, ND
Naturopathic Doctor, Clinic Director
info@vitalityforlife.ca
www.vitalityforlife.ca
Twitter: @NaturoDoctor
We're On Facebook!

No comments: